Sunday, January 5, 2014

Living a God First Life

Today, my family visited a local church.  The title of the sermon was, "I have decided".   As I listened to the pastor, I couldn't help but reflect on my personal journey as it applied to his message.  Throughout this journey, we have encountered people who have questioned my husband and myself about what we do.  Such questions include, how can you possibly parent all your children?  What about your biological children God gave you? How can you afford all those kids?  What about college? Why not wait until your own kids are out of the house? How can you protect your children from being hurt from those kids?....My answer has always been because we have faith.  God has put us on this journey even when we tried not to be.  He continued to speak to our heart, put us in specific places, and led us down this path.  We are not adopting to "impress people"  or because "adopting from China is a new accessory".  We are adopting special needs children-I assure you they are not a new handbag.  I am glad to hear that adopting is spreading but realize that the body of Christ is becoming more obedient and realizing this is a mission field.  Christians are adopting because they want to be "the hands and feet of Christ" not because it is a "fashion trend".  John and I have decided we are not going to let anything keep or distract us from our calling in life and we are going to be faithful to our Lord.  We know what we are supposed to adopt and yes, we are doing this now because it is God's time for us.  We are not waiting, because that is not God's time for my family.  Is every family supposed to adopt and do it today? NO! We all have different callings in life and that is okay, none are more important than others.  It is also okay to wait if that is God's timing for your life.  I do not know what God calls other people to do nor the timing.  I can only speak for me and my family.

 As I end this post, I want to reflect on a passage of the Bible.  Luke 10:38-42  As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.  She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?  Tell her to help me!"  "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."  There are a lot of distractions in life.  Too many times I have been like Martha.  Right now we want to be like Mary, we are choosing to live a God first life. 

No comments: